LifeMed's elite medical teams must demonstrate competency annually in skills such as chest tube insertion, pericardiocentesis, and advanced surgical airway procedures. Each medical flight crew member has the following certifications:
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP)
- Trauma certification (i.e. PHTLS, TNCC, TPATC, ATCN)
- Flight staff must obtain an Advanced Flight Certification within 12 months of hire (CFRN for RN's and FP-C for Paramedics).
Additionally, all medical flight crew members are required to complete two clinical simulation sessions per year and medical ground crews complete one simulation session per year.
Their training is rigorous and their experience is invaluable in the unpredictable and challenging environment of transport medicine in Alaska.